Samstag, 14. Juli 2018

REVIEW | "Freeks" by Amanda Hocking

source

Title: Freeks
Author: Amanda Hocking
Publisher: Griffin
Genre: YA, paranormal, historical fiction
ISBN: 978-1250084774
Page Number: 400 pages






Blurb
In a world of magical visions and pyrokinesis, Mara just wants to have a normal life. But is that possible?

Mara has become used to the extraordinary. Roaming from place to place with Gideon Davorin’s Traveling Carnival, she longs for an ordinary life where no one has the ability to levitate or predict the future.
She gets her chance when the struggling sideshow sets up camp in the small town of Caudry and she meets a gorgeous local guy named Gabe. But before long, Mara realizes there’s a dark presence lurking in the town that’s threatening the lives of her friends. She has seven days to take control of a power she didn’t know she had in order to save everyone she cares about—and change the future forever.

Execution
It took me some time to get into this but after around 100 pages I was fully invested in the story. I do have to say though, while it was an enjoyable read for sure and I don't regret reading it at all, it didn't swept me off my feet - it was a good book, but it wasn't outstanding.
The reason I felt that way is probably that I think the story isn't detailed enough. I really liked the overall concept with the carnival and all the people with supernatural powers but I wish the author would have given the whole world a bit more depth.
All in all I'm happy with how the story played out in the end, although the ending comes very sudden and could have been a bit more detailed (basically like the whole rest of the story).

Characters
Unlike the plot, I don't think the characters are lacking depth. All of them play an important role in the story but again, I wished I would have gotten to know a bit more about them and their lives. 
I'm not a huge fan of the romance, mostly because there isn't any build up to it but I do like both Gabe and Mara as individuals.
Also, I loved seeing all the people's abilities and the whole group dynamic within the carnival (at least in Mara's friend group). 

Emotions
I did care about the story and the characters, but because I felt like the book didn't live up to its full potential I feel like I could have been more emotionally invested in the story. 
Don't get me wrong - I still liked the characters, I just didn't LOVE them. Reading about them felt like listening to a story an old friend was telling that you still care enough about to not let him go but he just isn't a huge part of your life anymore. 

Overall
I do think Freeks is a solid, entertaining novel and I would still recommend it to anyone who wants to read something light for inbetween heavy, mind-blowing books. 

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen