Freitag, 10. August 2018

REVIEW | "The Diviners" by Libba Bray

source

Title: The Diviners
Author: Libba Bray
Publisher: Atom
Genre: YA, paranormal, historical fiction
ISBN: 978-1907410406
Page Number: 592 pages






Blurb
Evie O’Neill has been exiled from her boring old hometown and shipped off to the bustling streets of New York City—and she is pos-i-tute-ly ecstatic. It’s 1926, and New York is filled with speakeasies, Ziegfeld girls, and rakish pickpockets. The only catch is that she has to live with her uncle Will and his unhealthy obsession with the occult.
Evie worries he’ll discover her darkest secret: a supernatural power that has only brought her trouble so far. But when the police find a murdered girl branded with a cryptic symbol and Will is called to the scene, Evie realizes her gift could help catch a serial killer.
As Evie jumps headlong into a dance with a murderer, other stories unfold in the city that never sleeps. A young man named Memphis is caught between two worlds. A chorus girl named Theta is running from her past. A student named Jericho hides a shocking secret. And unknown to all, something dark and evil has awakened.

Execution
I had very high expectations going into The Diviners because even though I wasn't a big fan of A Great and Terrible Beauty, the only other book I had read by the author, I had heard high praise about this book by people whose opinions I trust.

And I wasn't let down at all.
Admittedly, the idea didn't blow me away and although the plot wasn't foreseeable, it wasn't very unique either. But there is something about this book that made me fall in love with every aspect of it, so none of that really mattered. 
This book is one that I could fully immerge myself in so that the pages flew by without me even realising. It absolutely lived from its amazing characters and the sometimes eerie, sometimes glorious, typically roaring 20's atmosphere.
I enjoyed every second of it!

Characters
The story is fully character driven - which I like, since for me, good characters is the most important part of a book. 
We follow multiple character's points of view whose stories aren't connected in the beginning, but throughout the book, their paths start overlapping and intertwining and I loved seeing them all get together!
All of the characters are incredibly well created and although they all have their flaws and edges, I couldn't help but fall in love with them.
Also, I think I've never read a historical fiction book with such a diverse cast of characters. 
They were just perfect and everything I could have ever wished for!

Emotions
This is, once again proof, that if you care about the characters in the book, you will inevitably get emotionally invested in the story.
Which I did.
And I'm a bit scared to go on reading with the series because I've heard a lot of people say the third book completely broke them. Don't know if I'm ready for that yet.

Overall
Altogether, this was a solid 5 star book for me.
I loved everything about it and I can highly recommend it to anyone who likes a strong, phenomenal character cast and a classical setting like 1920's New York City. 
Can't wait to read the next book (although, again, I'm a bit scared)

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen