Montag, 13. August 2018

top ten love stories in non-romance books

Hi bookworms!
When I was younger, I was all for love stories. I mostly read fantasy books, but very rarely did I enjoy them for the fantasy aspect and rather for the love story that you would always find as a subplot.
Then, as I wasn't very experienced both as a reader and in life, it was really easy for me to fall in love with a love story, but as I got older and became more critical with my reading, it got harder and harder to find a good love story in a non-romance book.
As I like to believe there are more people out there who (just like me) crave gut-wrenching (in the best way possible gut-wrenching, of course) love stories as subplots to books that mainly deal with other things - may that be fantasy stuff or whatever - I thought it would be a good idea to introduce my top ten side plot love stories/ OTPs.
So without further ado, here they are (in no particular order):
(Also, be warned I might spoil some love stories here!)

1. Jesper and Wylan from the Six of Crows Duology by Leigh Bardugo
You can't imagine how badly I wanted those two to be together. I loved how throughout both of the books, Jesper always seemed to tease Wylan and how shyly Wylan reacted to his banters and when they finally got together, fireworks literally exploded in my gut because I was so happy.
Also, I can't wait to see their relationship play out in the third book that was just announced a few weeks ago!


2. Kaz and Inej from the Six of Crows Duology by Leigh Bardugo
Well, what can I say... those books are just full of loveable relationships.
Again, this is a very angsty relationship and Kaz and Inej are both characters that are emotionally quite unstable but I just love how they learn to trust and rely on each other. Also, can we just talk about the fact that there are literally no scenes of them kissing each other (at least if I didn't forget something which would be embarassing haha) but still, I just love their relationship so much and they're the cutest couple ever and they're both just so precious!

3. Inan and Zélie from Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi
To be honest, their relationship was my favourite part of the book. Which doesn't mean I didn't love the rest of the book, but dear God, INAN AND ZÉLIE! The two of them started out as enemies and since the hate-to-love trope is one of my absolute favourites in romances, I just couldn't help but root for them. Which is why that ending broke my heart and I NEED THE NEXT BOOK RIGHT NOW!



4. Alucard and Rhy from the Shades of Magic trilogy by V.E. Schwab
This is one of the OTPs that, before I read about them, I didn't know I wanted them to happen. (SPOILERS!) Like, literally, I had no idea that the two of them together might be a possibility until that one scene in A Gathering of Shadows in Rhy's bedroom, when Alucard comes visiting him and you get to know they have a history together and it's just the sweetest scene ever. Every time I feel bad, I go back to that scene and reread it and it never fails to make me feel better.



5. Nova and Adrian from Renegades by Marissa Meyer
Technically, they haven't gotten together yet but I still root for them because they're just the absolute CUTEST. Their relationship involves a lot of angst and could very well go in a complete other direction than I want it to in the next books but I really want them to be together!
I feel like Marissa Meyer really does a great job in creating tension between characters and also, I loved both Nova and Adrian so much, aarrgh!


6. Adam and Ronan from The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater
God, how I loved them both. I loved how wild and untameable Ronan is throughout the entire series, but when it comes to Adam, he's just SO CUTE! The only thing I wish for is more scenes of them together.
Also, I love how technically, they should be so clichée (I mean, Rowan is the definition of bad boy and Adam is just so neat and decent) but somehow, Maggie Stiefvater manages to not portray their relationship as stereotypical which I LOVED.

source

7. Tengo and Aomame from 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami
I don't know if you can consider their love story a side plot in 1Q84 since it's a very essential part of the story, but still, I wouldn't consider 1Q84 a romance novel.
I have never read a love story with so much build up, ever. Tengo and Aomame's relationship is definitely one that shouldn't have worked, but it did. Like hell did it work.
Their love story is the most unique one I've ever read and so, so beautiful!


8. Tella and Dante from Legendary by Stephanie Garber
This is a rather untypical constellation because while normally, you see the bad boy and the shy, innocent girl falling in love, in Legendary both Tella and Dante have their dark sides. When I say they deserve each other though, I mean it in the best way possible. I love both of their characters so much which is why that ending KILLED me and I can't wait to see their relationship in Finale. 




9. Paige and Warden from The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon
I remember when I first read The Bone SeasonThe Mime Order wasn't out yet and the first book ended on such a cliffhanger according to their relationship, I was DEVASTATED. I know a lot of people consider their relationship problematic and I totally see why they would. At the time when I read it though, I wasn't very critical as a reader so I just remember swooning over their relationship. I am planning a reread of this series though in order to finally read The Song Rising but so far, I absolutely love Paige and Warden.



10. Simon and Baz from Carry On by Rainbow Rowell
This was one that I wished would happen, but never believed it would until it did. I don't know how many times I reread just the parts of them together in this book and how much I swooned over them. Also, my heart stopped for a moment when I saw that Wayward Son was going to be a thing. I still can't believe we're going to get more of Simon and Baz. And I CAN'T WAIT!



Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen