Samstag, 4. August 2018

REVIEW | "Hollow City" by Ransom Riggs

source

Title: Hollow City
Author: Ransom Riggs
Publisher: Random House UK
Genre: YA paranormal, fantasy
ISBN: 978-1594747359
Page Number: 416 pages






Blurb
This second novel begins in 1940, immediately after the first book ended. Having escaped Miss Peregrine’s island by the skin of their teeth, Jacob and his new friends must journey to London, the peculiar capital of the world. Along the way, they encounter new allies, a menagerie of peculiar animals, and other unexpected surprises.
Complete with dozens of newly discovered (and thoroughly mesmerising) vintage photographs, this new adventure will delight readers of all ages.


Execution
While I did like the first book, I didn't LOVE it (which I totally blame me for because I watched the movie first and that kind of destroyed my experience with the book a bit) but the second book doesn't have anything to do with the movie anymore, so the plot was a complete surprise.
And a very pleasant surprise, to be exact. 
From start to finish, this book was gripping, enthralling and full of plot twists that I didn't see coming at all. Especially the end had me gasping because I was so shocked and I cannot wait for the third book.

Characters
The more you read about all the characters, the more you fall in love with them.
They are all so incredibly well created and I loved how we got to see them develop and go through all that stuff together. Their group dynamic is exactly how I want a good friend's group to be in a book - realistically, they do disagree and fight from time to time, but in crucial moments, they all stick together and don't let anything or anyone come between them.
All of them are special and important to the story in their own way and everyone serves a purpose in the book, which I really liked as well.

Emotions
This was kind of an emotional rollercoaster for me. I swear, I was literally biting my nails out of excitement sometimes because I was so invested in the story.
It's hard not to be emotionally invested in a story if you care so much about the characters, and I cared a lot!
(And I'm so scared something bad might happen to one of them in the next books!)

Overall
Altogether, Hollow City wasn't just a solid sequel in this series, it also exceeded my expectations and absolutely met the high standard that was set in the first book.
If you're not sure whether to continue with the series after the first book, I highly recommend doing so! Absolutely loved it! (If I didn't make that clear enough yet haha)

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen