Donnerstag, 16. August 2018

REVIEW | "The Secret History" by Donna Dartt

source

Title: The Secret History
Author: Donna Tartt
Publisher: Penguin
Genre: adult fiction
ISBN: 978-0804111355
Page Number: 640 pages






Blurb
Under the influence of their charismatic classics professor, a group of clever, eccentric misfits at an elite New England college discover a way of thinking and living that is a world away from the humdrum existence of their contemporaries. But when they go beyond the boundaries of normal morality they slip gradually from obsession to corruption and betrayal, and at last - inexorably - into evil.

Execution
This book was utterly dazing - in the best way possible.
It's the kind of book I couldn't read too much of at a time, the kind of book that you have to put aside every other few dozen pages to let it all sink in.
It's the kind of book that is slowly taking over your life until everything else seems petty.
It's not full of twists and turns (at least considering the length of the novel) and it doesn't leave you sitting with your mouth open the entire time but it's got something to it that pulls you into that world and let's you feel like you're part of it.
I've never read anything like it before. It's not that unique and special at first glance, but rather on a very profound, deep level that sets the whole tone for the story.
Donna Tartt has, in my humble opinion, created an absolute masterpiece with this book.

Characters
The funny thing about the characters in this book is that although I didn't like any of them, I still cared for all of them.
Every character serves a very specific purpose - everyone has their own, special role to play and contributes to the story in some way.
All of the characters are incredibly well crafted and although you can't fully comprehend their motivations sometimes, it all comes together in the end.
Again, I've never read about characters like these before (in a way though, they reminded me a bit of the students in How to Get Away With Murder) and although (like I said) I didn't like them, I already miss them (which is very weird, but still)

Emotions
This book wasn't exactly thrilling or keeping me on the edge of my seat the entire time, but still, I was very much emotionally attached to the story.
While reading this book, I had big problems concentrating on other stories at the same time (because I'm reading more than one book at a time) because honestly, I think this book kind of consumed me.
I even find myself wishing there was more to the story but at the same time, I know it's over and there isn't anything more to tell.

Overall
Altogether, this was one of the most unique reading experiences I had in my entire life. It keeps me longing for more books like this and I can truly not wait to read more books by Donna Tartt!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen