Sonntag, 19. August 2018

why a little life is my favourite book of all time

Hello everyone!
Ever since I read A Little Life, I wanted to talk about it. I remember reading it and being so desperate for someone who understood what I was going through, I was begging both my mom and my best friend to read the book.
So naturally, I want to talk about it on here.
Be aware - this is going to take a while because I am going to pour my heart out. So I'm sorry if this is gonna be a rather long blog post. But well, what can you do, right?

Before I read A Little Life, I didn't really have a favourite book. I used to say the Harry Potter books were my favourites (and in a way, they are because they're like a part of me) but they weren't my favourite books of all time with all that is to them although they really mean much to me.
But I didn't really know what a favourite book was before I read A Little Life.

While I was reading it, I thought: This is it. I have found it. This is the book. The Book, capital letters.
I think no other book made me feel the way A Little Life did.

To understand this, you've got to know what reading means to me. Reading is an escape for me, a way to live hundreds and thousands of other lives, being able to travel to other worlds, being someone else, living another life. A Little Life, quite literally.
And I've never felt so much like actually living another life like I did with A Little Life. 
I don't know what exactly about the book made me feel that way - I mean, we do get to know a person's whole life story in a very detailed way but I've read similar books and never before - and after - have I felt so close to a character in a book.

Writing this, I'm still tearing up because all the emotions that I had reading the book are coming back to me.
Usually, I don't really cry reading books. If a book makes me cry, it's got to be a good one. And normally I don't even really cry cry, I just shed some tears and that's it.
Again, A Little Life changed that.
Nothing, ever, in my whole entire life, made me sob so hard.
I remember reading one particular part of the book (the ones amongst you who've read the book probably know which part I'm talking about) and I just couldn't cope with my feelings. I was crying so hard, I had to close the book and pick it up the next day again because I simply could not handle it. It was too much.

This book destroyed me. I mean, I'm literally sitting here crying just because I'm thinking about it and I've read it months ago. A Little Life is easily the most emotional book I've ever read. Actually, it's the book of superlatives. It's the most emotional, the saddest and happiest, the best, best, best book I've ever read.

I've also written that in my Goodreads review that I wrote right after finishing the book, but I'm writing it here again because I can't say it often enough: For me, A Little Life is the embodiment of literature. If literature was one book, it would be A Little Life. 
That's quite a statement to make, isn't it?
See, that's how much I love this book.

I'm sure I'll never read a book I love as much as  A Little Life ever again. Never say never, but I say never. Ever.
Maybe that makes me stubborn or close minded but really, it doesn't because there's no way another book will ever make me feel that way again.
If you think there is, I challenge you to write it. I'll happily read it but I don't think it'll compete. Sorry.

Anyway, I feel better now after having poured my heart out and finally, the only thing I can say is: Read the book. Period.
xxx

source - I do own this book but I lent my copy to someone so I can't take pictures with it

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen