Dienstag, 5. Juni 2018

what I read recently | 6/5/2018

The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson
Although I did have some problems with this book (especially in the beginning), I overall really liked it. It's a well crafted fantasy story with a very interesting love triangle and a successful opening to a trilogy which I hope to be continuing soon. Highly recommend to any fantasy lovers!


1Q84 - Book 3 by Haruki Murakami
Going into this book, I knew I would love it. The first two books were beyond amazing and I had high expectations for the finale of the trilogy. I wasn't let down whatsoever.
This is one of the most satisfying conclusions in a series I've ever read and I loved, loved, loved it! Weird and quirky but no doubt, a masterpiece.
5/5 stars



Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout
It took me quite some time to get into this one (which is mainly due to the fact that I had forgotten almost everything that happened in the first book so I wasn't exactly prepared). Gladly, the book was very fast-paced and after I had eventually gotten into it, I really enjoyed it. I am aware though that the series has some problematic aspects so although I did enjoy the book, I can neither give it a very high rating nor do I recommend it because of its problematic nature. 
It would go beyond the scope to discuss the issues I had with the book and I don't plan on doing a full review on it in particular, but I am thinking of doing a review for the whole series once I'm done with that.
2.5/5 stars



The House of Hades by Rick Riordan
I think it's now surprise when I say that I absolutely loved The House of Hades. It was as fast-paced, funny and enthralling as Rick Riordans previous books and yet it still managed to introduce new aspects and faces of this world that we haven't gotten to know in the other books (and that's quite cool for it's not only the fourth book in this series but also the ninth book in this world).
I am a bit sad though because it is the second to last book in this series and then it'll all be over :(
On another note, I'm super excited for The Blood of Olympus which I'll be reading very soon!
5/5 stars



Scythe by Neal Shusterman
Although it took me a while to get into this one, in the end I absolutely loved it! Such an interesting read that makes you think about what it means to be human - it approaches important issues that need to be discussed and therefore I loved it. Full review for this coming though so I won't get into more details here.
4.5/5 stars


Opal by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Reading Opal was quite a similar experience as reading Onyx. Yet, I didn't enjoy Opal as much as Onyx because I felt like for the most part of the book, nothing really happened. The plot was dragging a lot and I couldn't really read much at a time because I got bored very quickly.
I don't want to talk about the problematic nature of the book in detail; it was sexist at times and the relationship between Daemon and Katy seems very toxic to me. Also, Daemon as a character... uugh, I just want to strangle him sometimes.
Anyway, I still want to continue with the series, especially because Opal ended on a very mean cliffhanger and I do want to know what happens next.
2.5/5 stars


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen